Elim Church was a plant from the old church Twyngwyn. One of the oldest churches in the surrounding district. It was established in 1829 and in 1903 the decision was taken to hold services in English instead of the Welsh language, due to the change of language in the neighbourhood. However in its early days the church was very isolated and difficult to get to.
in 1867 the church felt the need to establish a work in Pontllanfraith as the rise of the local population due to the advent of coal mining had transformed the area.
The original site of Elim was at the bottom of Llanarth Road and work was completed in 1869.
As membership increased it was necessary to build a new church and after much discussion Elim's present location was decided upon.
The work was completed in 1912.
Minister Rev Sue Phillips
Mrs Olga Williams [Secretary]
Mrs Nadia Champion
Mrs Adele Pask
Mr Paul Phillips [Treasurer]